Sunday, January 25, 2009

Leaving Waikiki


We've got about 45 minutes till we hop on the shuttle to go to the airport and get on a plane to fly to The Big Island.

We are calling our Waikiki, Oahu experience our "Urban" experience. We did a lot of walking and did not rent a car.

This is the slow time of year but the beaches and streets seemed packed. I'm looking forward to the Big Island and finding quiet spots to enjoy the natural beauty of Hawaii although there is plenty to be had on the beaches.

This morning we took a van ride to the stadium for the local swap meet/flea market. This is an experience that Karen will not miss regardless of where we go. She loves to shop for those special treasures that are found in "antique" stores, junk shops and flea markets. Today she found some kokeshi dolls from the 70's. She loves all things oriental so she was pleased. I was along for the walk and didn't see much that interested me.

Our last meal here was at the Rainbow Drivethrough about a 1/2 mile from the zoo. I had curried beef and Karen had some type of chili hot dog platter with rice. It fit right in with the urban experience as this was pure local and enough food to stuff a sumo wrestler for under 7 dollars.

It is possible I've lost my cell phone. I thought I left it in the room when we checked out but no one has turned it in. It's possible it is stuffed in the luggage somewhere. Don't try to call until you've heard it is found.

So off we go to the Big Island. We will spend the first night around Kona not far from the airport. Assuming we have internet there I'll get some more pictures posted tonight.

Mahalo

Richard

1 comment:

  1. keep the blogging and photographs coming; I delight in the experience that Karen and you are having

    ReplyDelete